Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Major's Return from Afghanistan {Army Family Photographer}

I'd been wanting to go back to Nashville for years now, but it was my Internet friend, Ame, who sealed the deal when she asked me to come photograph her main squeeze's return from the war in Afghanistan. Ame and I had been following each other's blogs for the past three years and I knew her kids were adorable, but I tell you when her son met me on the sidewalk and gave me a big ol' bear hug with his sweet chubby arms squeezed tightly around my neck I could have died and gone to heaven right then. Immediately I could tell this boy was super special. I already knew his mom had the kind of outlook on life that I admire and her authentic way of living even in the hardest of circumstances made her hands down my hero. Her husband has been overseas fighting for 15 months. In that time, her son grew to be 3 years and 8 months and their daughter 20 months. I'd known these kids all of two seconds in real life and I couldn't imagine the sacrifice it takes to be their flesh and blood and leave them for my country. I just sob thinking about it. What a hero!
I have so much gratitude in my heart for your service, Scott (and AME!!). Thank you!

So without further ado, here is your sneak peek:










8 comments:

Mommy said...

Kristen...God has given you such an awesome gift and you use it in such a truly gifted way and give back so much. You are an awesome woman of God. Life is so fun and funny and hard and odd and how we were brought together is a gift I will treasure and truly hope we get to meet again (in person) when my life is not ending such a difficult chapter. However, I know we will always be virtual friends. Thank you.

Mommy said...

I crack up at that one of Scott lifting T up every time!

Kristen said...

I know, I couldn't believe I caught that one of Scott lifting T. I think I had the advantage because T is a big boy and it was kinda in slowmotion. :-) Scott rocks! Going above and beyond (his head) and the call of duty.

thank you for your sincere compliment above. i'm gonna post me some of that on my website. :-)

Laura M.- Editor said...

These are amazing pictures! I love them so much. If you ever get to Seattle Kristen, please let me know. I would love to have some pictures taken by such a gifted photographer!

Kristen said...

Thanks, Laura! Get four of your friends in on it and I'll make the trek... come Rain or Shine. :-)

Mommy said...

Kristen...Laura is another internet buddy of mine...you know since I don't have any literal friends...

Drew, Amber and Megan said...

I love them all! I love the one of Scott lifting Thomas up the most, I know Thomas has waited a very long tome for that!!

Mommy said...

We just weighed T...and he weighs 47.2 lbs!